oliviasbooks's Reviews > The Summoning

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

*** Finished for the first time on August 2. 2009 *** Waaaagh, such a cliff-hanger ending ... and I will have to wait for the second volume at least until May.

Kelley Armstrong's first attempt at the young adult genre worked just fine. It has wonderful, believable characters (who doesn't applaud Armstrong for creating someone like Derek in an era full of unblemished, irresistable heartthrob heroes?), supernatural elements and is thickly layered in thrills: Ghost-seeing Chloe Sanders lands in a closely monitored, posh boarding-school for mentally ill teenagers and is quickly diagnosed as being schizophrenic. When getting to know her fellow inmates and their unique problems better, she starts to doubt anybody attending Lyle House is really ill. Can it be coincidence that all six teenagers have supernatural tendencies or is somebody playing down things deliberately and using their otherness for his or her own mysterious means?

In contrast to funny and down to earth mediator Suze (Cabot), who I adore as well, this book's heroine really is living through hell. She believes herself sick, takes her medicine, is confined to a house with a sound alarm system and no one sincere enough to trust, does not know how to deal with ghosts repeating their death scenes over and over and is afraid her friends in school have noticed her freaking out and being shipped off to hospital.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summoning.

Quotes oliviasbooks Liked

Kelley Armstrong
“He pivoted, gaze following me as I crossed to the shower and turned on the cold water, so it would drown out our conversation without steaming up the room.
Great," he muttered."Now they're going to think we're showering together. Maybe we can just tell them we were washing off the crawl space dirt and trying to conserve water.”
Kelley Armstrong, The Summoning

03/02 marked as: currently-reading
03/02 page 118
30.0% "Rereading it and loving it still."
03/03 marked as: read