oliviasbooks's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

What does an urban-fantasy-love-story addict need more? Nothing really – apart from a good story line, carefully built-up suspense, changing points of view between the two main characters who should get dear to the reader faster than a heater warms a car’s interior in a Minnesota autumn. Shiver has all that – and more: friendship, mistakes, the pain of growing up, savouring the time you’ve got, desperately wishing for miracles, pounding hearts, not letting go and letting love win, a lot of insight into what it is that makes us human and poetry. What I liked about the werewolf concept was that the shapeshifters shed their humanity completely when becoming wolves: They weren’t mythical in-between-beings. They were wolves. They thought in pictures, lost memory of their names and their past and depending on whether they liked their own human selves or not, they welcomed the obliviation or tried to fight it. Instead of immortality they got animal-sized lifetimes with human summers that shortened from year to year. A wonderful set-up for a werewolf falling in love during his last summer with the girl he saved six years ago from an attack by his pack mates, don’t you think?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.

Quotes oliviasbooks Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“You're beautiful and sad," I said finally, not looking at him when I did. "Just like your eyes. You're like a song that I heard when I was a little kid but forgot I knew until I heard it again." For a long moment there was only the whirring sound of the tires on the road, and then Sam said softly, "Thank you.”
Maggie Stiefvater, Shiver

Maggie Stiefvater
“What do you eat?"
"Baby bunnies." She narrowed her eyes, so I grinned and said, "Adult bunnies, too. I'm an equal-opportunity bunny-eater.”
Maggie Stiefvater, Shiver