Shannon (Savhage Temptrest)'s Reviews > Daughter of the Blood

Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop

Jan 05, 2014

Read in December, 2009

I'm giving "Daughter of the Blood" by Anne Bishop 3 1/2 stars because I'm definitely in the middle between really liking it and just liking it! The book was a great read as long as you keep an open mind and continue to read the book regardless of the less than savory moments and confusing and sometimes boring moments spanned throughout the book. It had the right amount of pain, suffering, love, deceit, redemption, fear, and mystery to make a reader want to continue on with the entire series.

Jaenelle is a very special child with very special gifts in the Dark Kingdom of the Blood witches, and is destined to become the most powerful Queen among the Blood races when she has fully matured into adulthood. She has kept her power hidden from her family who believes she is mad, but she needs help to develop and harness her power so that she can be the Witch she is destined to be. It's up to the ruler of Hell, a pleasure slave, and some other very loyal "friends" to teach and protect the young girl from falling victim to anyone or anything out to control or destroy the ruler and woman Jaenelle is destined to be.

This book was definitely a bit of strange read for me even with the magic and paranormal elements I have become used to reading. The book was a different take on these elements, and it blended young adult fantasy/fiction and quickly attached some very adult factors to the story that kept me interested and entertained until the very end. The realm of Hell became a pretty cool place to inhabit, Darkness was favored over Light, and women ruled to world while men were there for their strength and sexual capabilities nothing more. The book took a bit to get into, and I cotemplated not finishing it within the first two-hundred pages of the story. I'm glad that I decided against it because beyond the confusion and the weird, creepier components of the book, the story came together and the true direction of the story was revealed and made for an enjoyable cast of characters and very complex and original plot for the series. I'm definitely going to read the remaining two books and spin-offs from The Black Jewels world, and recommend it to strong willed readers who enjoy Dark fantasy with a hint of romance!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of the Blood.

11/28/2009 page 91