Beanbag Love's Reviews > Trick of the Light

Trick of the Light by Rob Thurman

Oct 18, 09

Read in October, 2009

Hmm. What to say?

Trixa is a bar owner in Vegas. When first we meet her she's just burned down a nightclub with her two companions, Griffin and Zeke, who she took in years earlier when they were just a couple of starving teens on the street. The arson's okay, though, because the club is owned by a demon and burning down his rebuilt clubs is sort of a favorite pastime of the trio.

There's also Trixa's bff, Leo, a sexy Native-American who runs the bar with her and has known her and her family for ages. He and Trixa bond most tightly where her late brother is concerned. The three of them were close and, you guessed it, a demon killed Kimano while he slept. Not cool. And the reason for the vengeance Trixa seeks that also drives the story.

That's all I'll say about that.

Despite a few problems, I really liked this story. I had a hard time putting it down. Thurman doesn't write romances, although she has a serious addiction to writing hot male characters and romance almost always has a thread.

My complaints have to do with the end. I won't be too specific because there are major spoilers I don't want to give out, but my problem is that certain things could have been better presented and almost seemed like a gyp when the reveal finally came. The climax of the story is quite good, very exciting, but it's followed by about three chapters of wordy wrap-up that could have been achieved in one chapter of 'showing' rather than 'telling'.

But, this complaint aside, I will definitely buy the next book in this second series by Rob Thurman. Her signature series -- Cal Leandros (although I think it should be called The Leandros Brothers), beginning with "Nightlife" -- is also a lot of fun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trick of the Light.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dina (new)

Dina I always thought Rob Thurman was a man. Maybe her chosing to shorten her name like that was intentional, considering the genre (Sci-Fi) she writes.

BTW, great review, Beanbag!

Beanbag Love Dina wrote: "I always thought Rob Thurman was a man. Maybe her chosing to shorten her name like that was intentional, considering the genre (Sci-Fi) she writes.

BTW, great review, Beanbag!
"

Thanks! I was halfway through the Leandros series before I realized he was a she. LOL.

Oddly enough, I started reading Morgan Howell's "Queen of Orcs" series and I didn't realize she was a he until after I read the second book and looked at the reviews.

Rane Thurman doesn't write romances, although she has a serious addiction to writing hot male characters and romance almost always has a thread.

hot men and nothing to do with them??? bummer!

Great Review Bean!

message 4: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Great review, Beanbag! This one sounds really good :)