Kate's Reviews > Swann's Way

did not like it
bookshelves: classics-by-other-foreigners, horrid
Recommended for: insomniacs
Read in January, 2003

Talk about "In Search of Lost Time!" I'm still searching for the HOURS of lost time I spent reading this drivel! I was tricked into reading this book by a friend of mine who wanted to read and discuss it. She never got around to reading it. I read the whole dreary thing. I know Proust is supposed to be the greatest writer of Western Lit EVER. I know it's a badge of honor in some circles to read Remembrance of Things Past and all other things Proustian. But I think Proust wrote all this crap so that someday, the literati would waste their time reading it, and then justifying the hours wasted by fawning over Proust. He goes on and on describing apple blossoms or chestnut trees or some such thing (I repressed the subject matter) for twenty gazillion pages. He is tortured and pained with conscience about minor choices he makes for another twenty gazillion pages. I just wanted to shriek--"get ON with it! Tell me a story!"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swann's Way.

message 1: by Sam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:01PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sam Astonishingly, no one seems to have created a Proust Haters' Club yet, so I just did. I've called it "Orchid-Stompin' Proust Haters Unite!"

Oddly enough, I myself began reading Proust on the recommendation of a friend who kept quoting bits of it. After gritting through "In Search of Lost Time" I began mocking passages of it, and he soon admitted that he'd basically just flipped through a few of the volumes and "Cliffed" a bit. I think there's a pattern here...

Janet After about half a dozen failed attempts I finally put my head in a vice and read it in a week. Quite possibly the loooooongest week of my life.

Angryy0uth this is def one of those books that's about the journey and how you get there rather than the destination.
i can understand why people don't like it, but i think one thing you can't argue against is that proust is an artist with words.
kinda like hendrix. i don't like his music that much because some/most of it is just self-indulgent wankery, but the dude certainly had a way with guitars.

message 4: by Kate (new) - rated it 1 star

Kate Angryy0uth wrote: "this is def one of those books that's about the journey and how you get there rather than the destination.

Thanks for your comment! Yes, he does have a way with words (LOTS of 'em!). I can appreciate that people really like him. And I'm guessing this is the vey first time Marcel Proust has ever been compared to Jimmi Hendrix!