Smokinhotbooks K.C.'s Reviews > Changeless

Changeless by Gail Carriger

Apr 04, 10

bookshelves: books-i-wantz

Taking a line from my favorite new movie of all time, Hamlet 2, "it was real, it was intense, it was.... drama" (pronounced drame-ah as he accidentally knocks a girl unconscious)! Apt description for how much I heart this new series. The unexpectedness of merging a Victorian-era urban fantasy with werewolves, vampires and 'others' has me gushing like I do every time I see my Alexander Sarsgard poster.

Changeless is the second installment of the Alexia Tarabotti series. Fast forward a few months from the previous book and we find Alexia married to the delicious, alpha werewolf Conall.  Through Alexia, or should I say Lady Woolsey eyes we experience the newness and excitement of her relationship with Conall.

"They are what?"
Lord Conall Maccon, Earl of Woolsey, was yelling. Loudly. This was to e expected from Lord Maccon, who was generally a loud sort of gentleman-the ear-bleeding combination of lung capacity and a large barrel chest.

"Wasn't me," she immediately said without having the barest hint of an idea as to what her husband was carrying on about. Of course, it usually was her, but it would not do to fess up right away, regardless of whatever it was that had his britches in a bunch this time.

Conall has to address a "family emergency" on BUR (Bureau of Unnatural Registry) business and leaves promtly for Scotland after hearing that wolves are having problems with changing. Without their ability to change the werewolves of his pack are starting to age. With age comes a loss of immortality. Left to her own devices Alexia seems to find trouble on every corner. Add her delightful friend Ivy, who has a panache for fashionably awful hats and  the two must find a way to help appease an angry Queen Victoria, a plethora of exorcised ghosts and a regiment of supernatural soldiers encamped on her doorstep.

I literally laughed out loud when Alexia is shoved off the balloon by someone who is trying to kill her, dangling with her knickers out, while Ivy who had too much to drink is lecturing Alexia on the impropiety of showing one's self that way. No matter that Alexia is hanging on for dear life and is also thousands of feet in the air, one's respectability is to be maintained at all times.  We also learn a bit more information on her preternatural father and oh, throw in a dead mummy, and you have a lively light-hearted thriller that makes for a delightfully interesting read.

I think my only ho um is that Alexia and Conall spent so much of the book apart and I would have liked to have seen more interaction between  them because their chemistry is so dynamic. The supporting cast in the book is fabulously charming and we get the chance to come back to some of our favorites such her outrageously flamboyant vampire friend   Lord Akeldama.  Okay another big "Oh. My. Gah." is the ending. I'm not going to divulge details but it did have me gasping out loud "that's it?" and frantically scouring online forums for the release date of the next book, Blameless due out in September.

Changeless is a series you have to be in the right frame of mind to read.  Take off your traditional romance style hat and done your 'it's okay to be different' fedora complete with a saucy feather and matching parasol. This is a unique series that causes me to have slight bouts of obsessive online forum checking because I love it so much.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Changeless.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shana ohhh great review,I am reading it right now and I have to agree with you that it is different. I find myself having to reread a sentence or paragraph just to make sure that I get the gist of the moment. You can tell just by the way the author writes in detail that there is a lot going on from moment to moment. Still intrigued and amused.

Shana

Smokinhotbooks K.C. I love the perfect mesh of semi historical with paranormal. My only wittle complaint is that Alexia and Conall don't spend a lot of one on one time together with this book.