Katy's Reviews > Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella

Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal by Paul Fleischman

F 50x66
Oct 16, 2009

bookshelves: traditional-literature

Writer Paul Fleischman, and illustrator Julie Paschkis tell the traditional Cinderella tale by incorporating elements from the same story as told in all different countries and regions. It starts out in Mexico where a little girl is given pan dulce by a woman who wants to marry her father. After she talks her father into marrying the woman the story moves to Korea where the new spouse orders the girl around, and to Iraq where she vows not to complain to her father because as she says, “I picked up the scorpion with my own hand.” Each part or page of the story is written from a different place. They incorporate foods from each area like when the fairy gives a hungry Cinderella figs and apricots in Iran, and the Godfather Snake gives her rice from India. In the Appalachia section she was told to scour all the pots so that she could not go to the ball. Next a witch woman comes in and casts a spell to make the pots scour themselves. In the end the Korean magistrate slips a straw sandal onto her foot, and she marries and has a feast with foods from all different countries.

I really enjoyed this version because of the diversity. This would be a great way to explore the similarities and differences between all places. Each page is labeled with the country or place it represents. I think that the way the story flows makes it easy to show kids that we are all very similar, and that we can incorporate all different cultures into our world.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal.

message 1: by (NS) Brea M (new)

(NS) Brea M Katy,
This concept of moving from culture to culture in one books sounds exciting! I wonder if each page brings an accurate account of the culture (at least traditionally). It would be interesting to ask students from those cultures what they think.