valee's Reviews > Born of Ice

Born of Ice by Sherrilyn Kenyon

May 08, 11

bookshelves: amazing-pnr-romance, 200-fav-reads
Read from May 04 to 08, 2011

This book was WAY BETTER than what I thought it would be.

In this installment we get to read about Syn & Shahara's son: Devyn Wade Kell. I must admit I thought I would hate this book because it wasn't about one of the characters we already knew. I was extremely frustrated about this because I really got to LOVE all the characters we have been introduced to before this book and I wanted to read their HEA before going to new characters we haven't met yet. Also I thought that as Devyn was much younger we would not read anything else about the other characters as they would probably have aged a lot. I WAS SO WRONG about this. Not only do we get to read about characters like Nyk, Syn, Caillen, Darling, Hauk, Vik, etc., but we get introduced to many new characters that are just as lovable as the others. The fact that Devyn is from another generation and younger was greatly managed. SK writes about them in a way you can't help but see them all in their top conditions and just as young. I got the idea that the younger generation is in their 20's and their parents are all in their 30's and 40's. I just loved it because we have all this amazing characters and we get to read about them all. This is what made me love this book so much. All this characters were together in one book but I never felt saturated because we have been reading about them in the previous installments.

Devyn was an amazing Hero, he wasn't alpha material in the way Nyk and Syn were, but he was strong and powerful in his own way. I usually prefer the other type of heroes, those alpha to their core and strong and possessive, but Dev was also powerful so I never felt the loss, I mean he was trained by the bests there are out there. He grew to become a doctor like his father and joined the League to help people, when he realized the corruption there was inside the League he decided to abandoned it and become a renegade. That's how we get to meet the heroine, an infiltrated spy sent by the government to finally imprison him. Alix Garran does not want to do this but she doesn't have any choice as the government holds her mother and sister as hostage and threaten to rape and kill them if she doesn't do what she was sent to do. Eventually Alix will realize Dev is not the Assassin and bad person she thought he would be, but will she find a way to save them all? Alix isn't alpha material either but she is a great heroine who grew up in the worst conditions a human being could have so it's really interesting to start seeing the person she was really meant to be once the chance is given to her.

While the romance and the plot wasn't as interesting as in the previous books at the beginning, the book got way better more to the 50% of it. The plot took a turn I never expected and I realized that I just couldn't put the book down anymore. The romance got way more interesting once all the secrets were out as well. That's why I'm giving 5 stars to the book. It may have had a slow start but once it got better it ended up being even better than the first 2 books in the series. Now that I have read this book I realize the potential of this series. I really believe this series will become an obsession eventually for me. I can't wait to read more about all this amazing characters. With this book things have become way more interesting than they have been and I can't wait to see what's next in this amazing world SK has built.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born of Ice.

valee Oh boy I can't wait to read more books in this series.

Stacia (the 2010 club) You've encouraged me to go back to book 3. I started it and was a little discouraged when I realized that it wasn't the same characters as the first two books. Now I'm wanting to read it because I really did like the first two and it looks like this one is as good. :)

valee I felt the very same way Stacia! I was really frustrated because all I wanted to do after I finished book 2 was to read more about the characters we had already met but we do get to read about them all in this book so don't be afraid! I really liked this book!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds good