Julie's Reviews > Singing Hands

Oct 27, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: deaf, childrens, historical
Read in October, 2009

Well, it was good in that there were a lot of deaf characters. More than two! It takes place in the 50's and we get a glimpse of how it was harder to be a deaf person if you were also black. Not that the main character is black, of course. She's a white hearing girl.

And the main character is most of the problem with this book. She does some really uncaring, unthinking, wrong things and I have trouble understanding why she's doing them when she's doing them. She sneaks into a tenant's locked rock to rummage through and steal the woman's dead husband's clothes so she can pull a prank on her sister. And instead finds love letters from some other guy and takes one of those! And that's not the only wrong thing she does, but it's the one that rubbed me completely the wrong way. Skip Sunday school? Fine. Hum during church? I don't care. But violating someone's privacy like that? For no good reason?

Almost wish the book had been about her father rather than her. He's a deaf minister who travels around all over the place to preach and minister in deaf churches all over the state and out of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Singing Hands.