Jason's Reviews > Elfquest Archives, Vol. 1

Elfquest Archives, Vol. 1 by Wendy Pini

Oct 16, 2009

bookshelves: graphic-novels-comic-books
Read in October, 2009

I really REALLY loved this collection! Being somewhat new to the comic book/graphic novel scene I'd have to say that this is one of my favorites so far! Though I had never heard of Elfquest I was amazed to find out that it was such a legendary comic.

First released in 1978 it was the first graphic novel series to be written and drawn by a woman AND was one of the first to bring graphic novels to the mainstream. This book is one of the reasons you can now find graphic novels in big chains like Barnes & Nobles, Borders, etc. And, it was all done between Wendy and her husband from their home as a totally independent venture!

I am glad that I was introduced to Elfquest through this edition; the DC Archives. The original art and lettering was somewhat bland whereas DC actually paid Wendy and her husband to use new technology (25 years after the original was released) to go back and re-color and ink everything. The result is some pretty unreal artwork that only makes the great storyline that much better! I could go on and on. If you haven't read this series yet and you enjoy fantasy or graphic novels, get a copy in your hands as soon as possible!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elfquest Archives, Vol. 1.