vicki_girl's Reviews > Fallen

Fallen by Lauren Kate

I was initially drawn to this book by the cover. Yes, I know it's shallow, and that whole "judging books by their covers" thing is frowned upon. However, the artwork implied a dark, moody book, which is right up my alley.

For the majority of the book, this promise is fulfilled. The story takes place in a reform school. Luce is struggling to get grip on what she may or may not have done to land herself in such a place. Daniel fights his own battle between befriending Luce and trying to scare her off. Other characters display a quirky mixture of traits and make for a fun cast. I especially liked Penn and her down-to-earth attitude; she is the one with whom I identified the most. I also liked how there was a larger story outside of Daniel and Luce's struggles. There was more involved than just the two of them. There were even a few deaths involved.

However, things started to fall apart towards the end for me. Once Daniel and Luce reached the turning point in their relationship, things kinda fizzled. It felt like up until then the author was writing one book, then suddenly changed gears and decided to write a different one. The characters seemed to be comepletely different people. I realize that the reader is supposed to be getting a big reveal as to their "true supernatural selves". I feel that their personalities should have felt same afterwards though.

Not exactly my favorite Young Adult paranormal romance. Still, I am interested enough to know what happens that I plan to read the sequels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallen.

05/16/2010 page 452