Annette Hart's Reviews > The Heart of the Family

The Heart of the Family by Annie Groves

Oct 16, 2009

bookshelves: historical, romance
Read in October, 2009

Another of Annie Groves' books I've been very naughty and read in a day! This is the third in a series about the same family (and typically read in the wrong order!)which starts with "Across the Mersey", then "As Time Goes By", and at the moment ends with this book.

The background to the books is Liverpool during WWII. I like the way that they take their time as they follow the various members of the family, focussing to different degrees in each book on several characters and adding in new ones as the stories unfold. The first book takes place in the build upto war and ends at Dunkirk, the second is set against the Blitz in Liverpool while this story starts as the Blitz is drawing to an end and the city is totally demoralised, sees the British troops heading of to the desert and the increasing involvement of the Americans.

The stories tell of the events, feelings and often misunderstandings that occur in the characters' lives and this book in particular sees one characters' major change in personality. I like the way that the characters followed are of all different ages, that they have different professions and backgrounds.

I can't wait to see what happens to the family next!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heart of the Family.