Lasse's Reviews > Franz Kafka's The Castle

Franz Kafka's The Castle by David Fishelson

Oct 10, 07

bookshelves: kafka
Read in December, 1998

„The Castle“ was the first book by Kafka I read. It was winter at that time and I had a fever, two aspects that certainly intensified this unique reading experience. The book puzzled me a lot back then and it kept me thinking and I tried to solve the mystery surrounding it.
Much has been said about the symbolism in the book; the castle and its complex system of clerks and competences, is often seen as a symbol of the horror of modern bureaucracy, K, the lonely antagonist, stands for the struggle of the individual against the society, theological connotations have been found, etc. To cut a long story short: I don’t believe that any of these theories is entirely correct. The story starts cryptic and also ends like that. We do not know if the castle authorities really assigned a land-surveyor as K claims. We do not know anything about K’s past (except for a tiny fragment) neither do we know his real name. Not only remains the castle mysterious for us, but also K himself. Nevertheless, we automatically try to find an explanation or an analysis for the events and the characters we encounter in the book. I once heard the theory, that Kafka’s texts can be seen as a kind of Rorschach-Test; every interpretation you give, reveals more about yourself than about the text. I have come to the conclusion that this might be true or at least part of the truth.
“The Castle” is the only book that managed to captivate me for such a long time. I still find myself thinking about it and dreaming of it, even though I haven’t read is again lately. I actually hope no one will come up with a comprehensible explanation or analysis of this book, because that might destroy the magic around it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Franz Kafka's The Castle.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Enira (new)

Enira write the review!i wanna read..heheheeh..

message 2: by Enira (new)

Enira aduh,reviewnya seriusan banget niy lasse..hihiih