Hannah's Reviews > Rampant

Rampant by Diana Peterfreund

Apr 08, 12

This book had such great plot potential!

A group of teen virgin huntresses in a secret Italian society hunting poison-horned, razor-toothed, merciless unicorns. What could be cooler than this!? Unfortunately, the book did not live up to its potential. As in, it wasn't a good book AT ALL. Unicorn hunting came second to lame romance. There seems to be more paragraphs talking about the huntresses’ nonexistent sex lives than their actual training for killing unicorns. The main characters of the book are supposed to be determined virgins on a mission. The point is gotten across that they can't have sex yet. In fact, it is repeated over and over(and over and over) again and the reader is forced to listen to a side plot that goes nowhere!

The characters also bothered me. Lilith didn't seem like a realistic mom. Cory was bipolar and vicious even considering her situation. And Astrid was just annoying; complaining about hunting unicorns and not doing anything to change it. She didn't seem like the cool, strong female at all. She was just whiney and insecure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rampant.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lexi (Pink Jellyfish) i had the same problems with this book

message 2: by Victoria (new)

Victoria I agree

Hannah If anyone needs any good paranormal fantasy recommendations I'm happy to contribute! I'm so miffed that this book's overall rating is above three stars!!!

message 4: by Kayley (new) - added it

Kayley In her defense, Astrid DID care more about the romance than the unicorn hunting. She never wanted to be a unicorn hunter in the first place. I agree, though, that her mother was unrealistic. When she came to teach at the school, she acted downright cruel. I honestly thought she was a villain in disguise, but then she had a total 180 personality change.

message 5: by Marie (new)

Marie So what you're saying is that the book must have been penned by a sex-crazed teenager, who thought adding killer unicorns would make their romance novel have more substance?