saferia's Reviews > Daughter of Venice

Oct 15, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: ya-fiction, children-fiction
Read in October, 2009

I really wanted to like this book more than I did, and wish that I could give a 2.5 star rating instead of 3. The book was hard to get through for a few reasons. The first being that the protagonist, Donata, seemed to waver between a bratty child a and a witty teen. Her character is 14 years old, but her voice often appeared as that of an 11 year old. While the random facts/lessons on Venetian history were interesting, not all of the facts were pertinent(thought interesting) to the telling of Donata's story, and many of these facts were awkwardly placed and contributed to the bumpy reading. Like a previous reviewer stated, I hope that the historical notes presented in the novel are well researched facts.

I did like the rich detail of the landscape (smells, sites, etc.), I could actually imagine myself in 1500s Venice. I most enjoyed the chapters that Donata and Noe interacted.

*****SPOILER**********
I was also bothered by the ending that didn't really resolve Donata's desire to marry contrary to tradition. It was confusing to have her go back and forth between wanting marriage, and not wanting marriage.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of Venice.