Justyn Rampa's Reviews > Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu Arakawa

Mar 05, 13

bookshelves: fullmetal-alchemist, manga, otaku-club
Read from January 21, 2012 to March 05, 2013, read count: 3

Re-read this since I'm starting the Otaku Club at my new library tonight. Still just as engaging to read as the first time I met Ed and Al. What I should do is actually read all the volumes together through the end since I own them all now:-)

************************************

I.
Love.
Fullmetal Alchemst.

Hiromu Arakawa gives the world the gift of Ed and Al in this first volume of Fullmetal Alchemist. Deftly done, she packages their origin story within the context of a new and awesome story taking place years after Edward has become a state alchemist.

The flashbacks and characterizations are incredibly well done! Arakawa also establishes the tone for her work which is one that alternates between stories of incredible substance and gravity and a lighthearted levity that matches what you might expect from two brothers that are Ed and Al's age.

This first volume introduces one of my favorite arcs from the entire series and that is Rose's struggle with faith after learning the truth about the Church of Leto.

I really can not recommend this series enough! What an incredible start to a really amazing journey that will explore religion, war, morality, fealty, science, and what it means to be a family!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01.