Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides's Reviews > The Changeover

The Changeover by Margaret Mahy

Nov 17, 11

bookshelves: children-ya, maybe-reread-sometime, fantasy-fiction
Read on February 09, 2011

I first read this book when I was in high school. 1996, probably. And yes, I did read the edition with this horrible cheesy 1980s cover.

This book has wonderful dialogue and familial relations that are (well, in the heroine's case) realistic without being terrible. And I think it's realistic about the physical and emotional changes of adolescence.

The thing that I can't quite make up my mind about is the guy/love interest. Let's face it - (view spoiler) Sorensen Carlisle is kind of a mild sociopath. He's trying to get past it, and it's sort of working. As Kareen says about Mark in A Civil Campaign, he's not from here, but he's getting over it, mostly.

This book is cool because it's all, hey, Laura is becoming empowered. But at the same time it's like, Sorensen's mother and grandmother expect her to make him normal in addition to solving her own problems. Which really doesn't seem fair. And I'm not sure if Mahy intended to imply this or not, but every time I read this book I can't help wondering if (view spoiler)

So yeah. Given that (possibly eisegetical interpretation), this book is awesome but also problematic and troubling.

---

So, I re-read this in October 2011. I still adore this book. But my brain still worries at the (view spoiler)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Changeover.

Quotes Snail in Danger (Sid) Liked

Margaret Mahy
“It changes you for ever, but you are changing for ever anyway.”
Margaret Mahy, The Changeover

02/09/2011 page 124
47.0% "I think this may be Margaret Mahy's best book. Of course since this is the only one I've finished (having tried to read two others and not been sufficiently interested enough to keep going) I'm totally qualified to make that pronouncement."