Linds's Reviews > Dreaming of You

Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas

2039534
Oct 15, 2009

bookshelves: 1800-s, england, historical-romance, romance, tough-guy, favorites, regency, rake-plain-heroine-pairing, victorian
Read in October, 2009

I don't usually gush in my reviews, but I just absoulutely loved everything about this book. It may just be my favorite historical romance (that's not a classic like Pride and Prejudice, etc.) It is definitely my favorite Lisa Kleypas book, and I've read most of them.

Derek is a great hero. Raised by prostitutes in the slums of London, he rose up and by various criminal acts and a quick mind for figures and now owns a successful casino. He's a leader and a survivor by nature. There's no "fixing" him. His early life has marked in ways that will never completely go away.

The heroine Sara is very intelligent girl with simple tastes and expectations out of life. She's a successful writer in her own life and is very non-judgmental. She's unimpressed by money and understands the sociological influences that shape people's personalities.

I loved the character of Derek. He has no concept of a lasting human relationship of any kind and no concept of family. He doesn't trust anybody really because he doesn't think anything will last.

As an added bonus Lily and Alex from Klepas' book Then Came You are secondary characters. I would actually read that book first because it introduces Derek and you have a greater understanding of his character.

I used to be very close to a guy that used to be a foster kid. Lisa Kleypas got the psyche and details down so right at times I had to put the book down and do something else because reading it was getting a little bit too intense.

If your a fan of historical romances stop what you're doing and read this book, you won't be sorry. I was so sad when I came to the end, becuase I had to stop reading it!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreaming of You.