Sarah Joy's Reviews > Tales from Earthsea

1955822
Oct 23, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2009

On the whole, a pretty interesting collection of stories. I'm still uneasy about the fact that LeGuin felt the need to go back and change Earthsea, make it more "politically correct"- but, if you can get over that, her writing is still quite good. "The Bones of the Earth" was probably my favorite story of five, brief and heart-wrenching. "The Finder" dragged on for a bit too long, I felt; "Darkrose and Diamond" had a bitter ending, not what I was expecting at all. All along, I cherished a foolish hope that Irioth of "On the High Marshes" would turn out to be Ged's original rival, Jasper. What happened to him after he left to be a sorcerer for the Lady of O, I wonder? "Dragonfly" was good also, though I'm startled by LeGuin's change of heart towards the Immanent Grove. In her new books, she makes it seem as if people- not only students from the Great House, but strangers, guests as well- often walk in the Grove with the Patterner. If I remember right, in the old books the way into the grove was known only to those who had won their staffs, and frequented only by the Masters.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tales from Earthsea.

04/18 marked as: read