Karl's Reviews > Luna

Luna by Julie Anne Peters

Oct 15, 2009

it was ok
Read in November, 2009

I wanted very much to love this book. It's very important to have books about transgendered teens available, and I admire Julie Ann Peters for writing this one, but I just didn't find it to be very good.

The story of Liam/Luna makes a compelling read, but it's told from the perspective of hir sister Reagan, who I found to be very much a central-casting YA fiction character. It was difficult to sympathize with her. Secondary characters were also not well developed. I was particularly upset about Chris, Reagan's love interest. There were a number of clues that seemed to indicate that he might be hiding illiteracy, but then he suddenly wrote her a nicely-worded note, she admired his handwriting, and that avenue was gone. It would have made him more interesting. Instead, he's just an attractive guy who likes her (for no reason I can fathom) and is there just to serve that purpose.

I can understand Peters' reluctance to write about the experience of a transgender person, since she is (as far as I know) cisgendered, but this book would have been much more compelling if it had been written from Luna's point of view.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Luna.