Gaby's Reviews > Mrs. O: The Face of Fashion Democracy

Oct 15, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction, picture-book
Read in October, 2009

Synopsis:
Building on the success of the Mrs. O website, Mary Tomer's recent book is a beautifully photographed and annotated description of Michelle Obama's fashion style as it progressed over the very public months of Barack Obama's presidential campaign and his first months in office.

Review:
Mrs. O: The Face of Fashion Democracy is more than a gorgeous collection of photographs. I found it an education in how Michelle Obama used her political savvy, visibility, and fashion sense to make political statements and to promote young designers from the US and around the world. I am not particularly well versed in the different designers and enjoyed the book's extensive interviews of different designers, stylists and publicists.

It is easy to imagine the excitement at the J.Crew headquarters when Michelle Obama appeared on Jay Leno's Tonight Show wearing her yellow outfit. And the "general joy" that all the Gap employees felt on seeing Michelle Obama in her off-the rack dress on the Fourth of July, 2008. It was touching to read Thakoon Panichgul's reaction to seeing Michelle Obama in his crossover V-back dress on the last night of the Democratic Convention: "I was so shocked and honored to have been part of that moment for her, for her family, for the country."

I recommend Mrs. O: The Face of Fashion Democracy - it goes beyond photographs to capture and analyze unique political moments from the lens of fashion.

Publisher: Center Street (October 28, 2009), 248 pages.
Review copy provided by the publisher.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mrs. O.