Amber's Reviews > Hallowe'en Party

Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie

2319803
Oct 22, 09

Read in October, 2009

So much for my silly Halloween books resolution; this book was terrible.

The premise is that a girl named Joyce gets killed at a Halloween party hosted by the control freak Mrs. Drake. She is drowned in a bucket used for bobbing for apples in the library of Mrs. Drake's home. The authoress Ariadne Oliver is at the party and she senses there is more to this death than a random act of violence. She brings in Poirot to investigate.

The first 1/2 of the book was nothing but Poirot going around and interviewing people in the town. Every single one of them said the exact same thing. And I mean the exact same thing. They all said things like Joyce is a liar, a know-it-all, not very nice, etc. Which makes me not care at all that Joyce died. Anyway, it all centered around the idea that just before her murder, Joyce said she witnessed a murder. Poirot and Mrs. Oliver suspect that this comment was what got her killed. But since Joyce is such a big liar, why would anyone believe her? Anyway, all the questioning was boring because everyone was saying the same thing, and I didn't feel like we got any additional clues from anyone. The first 100 pages could have been condensed into 5. Oh, and those 5 pages would have included at least a whole page about how the world is not what it used to be, how there are so many mentally unstable people walking around killing people, and how promiscuous the girls tend to be these days. In a nutshell, boring.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hallowe'en Party.

10/21/2009 "I'm struggling - it's boring. But I will get through it!"