Drebbles's Reviews > Perimenopause - Preparing for the Change, Revised 2nd Edition: A Guide to the Early Stages of Menopause and Beyond

Perimenopause - Preparing for the Change, Revised 2nd Edition by Nancy Lee Teaff

Oct 15, 09

Read in January, 2006

As I approach Perimenopause, I've been reading as many books as I can on the subject so I know what's going to happen and what I can do to relieve the symptoms. This book has been a great help. It explains what will happen and why it is happening. There's a handy list of symptoms of Perimenopause and solutions to these symptoms. There's a list of what routine checkups a woman should have at certain ages. Hormone Replacement Therapy is discussed as well as natural remedies for those who don't want to go the HRT route. The book also has chapters on the four major diseases women face as they age and how they can help prevent the diseases through weight control, diet, and exercise. Fertility and Infertility is discussed at length as is sexuality and Menopause. There's a chapter on how to find the right doctor and a very helpful chapter with examples of what some women went through during Menopause.

This was a very informative book. I can't say I'm looking forward to Perimenopause, but at least now I know what's going to happen. There were many charts that I found helpful, especially the ones showing the risk factors for Breast Cancer, Alzheimer's, Heart Disease and Osteoporosis. Scary stuff but good to know. The list of symptoms of Perimenopause was also helpful.

The one qualm I have about this book is that it was written in 1999 and discusses HRT as being more risk free than recent studies have shown. The authors have already revised the book once and I'm hoping they put out a third edition discussing the study results.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perimenopause - Preparing for the Change, Revised 2nd Edition.