Ilsa Bick's Reviews > Speak

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Feb 07, 12

This was my comfort food listen. Does anyone on the planet not know this 1999 gem of a novel? If you’ve been in hibernation the last decade+, let’s just say that this is the story of Melinda, a ninth-grader with an unbearable secret who eventually finds her way to speak the truth. Mandy Siegfried is pitch-perfect as the narrator, and I have to admit that I prefer the audio version to the actual novel which I found a bit too episodic (and those double spaces between paragraphs drive me nuts). Of Anderson’s many novels, this remains my favorite and, despite being somewhat stylized, feels the truest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speak.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

G. Donald Cribbs It's great to read, and so amazing to watch students study this book in an English class. I loved the experience! :D

message 2: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Lane This movie made me bawl.

G. Donald Cribbs the only time Kristen Stewart actually acted in a film. The first one she did when she was 13. She did an amazing job. What came afterward? I can't SPEAK about that...

message 4: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Lane LOL Donald. She did a great job in this, and in Panic Room. Maybe she should stick to the roles demonstrating numbness from PTSD?

Ilsa Bick Jennifer wrote: "This movie made me bawl."
I completely agree. Never even knew it'd been a movie until a few months ago, too. I should write a little review,

Ilsa Bick Jennifer wrote: "LOL Donald. She did a great job in this, and in Panic Room. Maybe she should stick to the roles demonstrating numbness from PTSD?"

She was in PANIC ROOM? For real? Whoa.

Ilsa Bick G. Donald wrote: "the only time Kristen Stewart actually acted in a film. The first one she did when she was 13. She did an amazing job. What came afterward? I can't SPEAK about that..."

Oh, *snap*