Jessica's Reviews > Don Quixote

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

419287
Oct 08, 07

bookshelves: happyendings, wish-i-owned
Recommended for: knights errant; the sorrowful-faced
Read in January, 2004

I really regret leaving my edition of this book on the curb when I moved out of that Brooklyn apartment. I was like, "Oh, super translation and lovely red cover, but it's really heavy and it's not like I'm gonna need to reread *Don Quixote* any time soon..... I need to quit being such a materialistic packrat!" Actually, I tossed tons of great stuff during that move, but this is the book I've regretted the most.

I DREAMT about this book on Saturday night. I had this really stressful dream where I was stuck on a college campus in Ohio of all places (because of Columbus Day weekend, I guess) and I had all this crap I needed to get back to New York. I missed my flight and wouldn't get another one, nor could I figure out a way to get all these possessions back with me, and everything was rushed and terrible and, as I said, really stressful. Anyway, this book was one of the main things in the room full of stuff I was trying to get back to New York, and the reason I missed my flight. It was sitting on this shelf in its red glory, and I just needed to figure out a way to get it back home with me, which was hard, and the figuring out was keeping me stuck in Ohio, where I really didn't want to be.

So what do you guys think *that* means?
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don Quixote.

Jessica Oh yeah, enough about me and my fragile psyche... what did my fragile psyche think of Don Quixote???

* Jessica's Book Report on Don Quixote*

This is a fabulous, fabulous, fabulous book. I'd be lying if I said it was a total breeze and I tore it all in a short weekend while slurping sangria at la playa.... However, it really is worth the slight trouble it may give as a result of being long, old, and from a foreign country, plus it's vastly more entertaining and accessible than you probably imagine it being.

If you like literature -- and by literature, I mean "funny stories" -- I bet you'd like this book. Cervantes seems to have been a master of my favorite response to the world -- "If I don't laugh, I'll cry!" -- and he not only did it a long time ago, he did it especially well. I guess this is part what makes this one a Classic, in my book, anyway.

message 2: by Ariel (new)

Ariel I loved this book too. Regarding your dream.... Don Quixote has to carry around his book of Knight Tales in order to know how to act like a knight. I remember one part where he comes across some challenge but doesn't know how to act because the Knight Tales don't cover that particular thing.
Perhaps in your dream, you too are searching for a guide to life. And you fear you may have left it in Ohio.

matthew that's a profound dream reading. i was just going to say, "actually, you do need to reread 'don quixote' (what's with the asterisks?) sometime soon.".

i believe i had the everyman's library edition of this, with the nice blue cloth covers, but i'm damned if i can find it now... maybe after maila gets all 'er shit out of the way of my library. i really have been meaning to reread it. i thought you were going to pass over the sadness at the heart of the novel (the first novel, i believe i've been told), in praising its humour (and it is very funny), but you nailed it. you really do have a flair for this, jessica. i, of course, especially like the self reference of the second book.

message 4: by Lesley (new)

Lesley I tried to read this book before senior year at Berkeley High (nine-seven!), but couldn't do it. I think I'm sort of a judge a book by it's cover kind of girl, though, and my edition totally sucked. It's nice to be told now by people I trust (and not only by my PTSD-suffering 'Nam vet of an english teacher) that this book is actually good, fun, tragic, and satisfying. I've always sort of thought of it as that book I'm supposed to have read but will never really want to read. But I guess a lot of people feel that way about Moby Dick and that book rules.

Has anyone yet considered the fact that I, perhaps Jessica's "guide to life," went to college in Ohio?

matthew i don't see the relevance.