Violet Crush's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith

Oct 21, 09

bookshelves: i-own

I started Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (PPZ) and my sister started Pride and Prejudice (P&P) at the same time. I was really excited to read this book. With a first sentence like this who wouldn’t?

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains

After the initial fit of giggling and comparing the first chapter with the original, I settled down to actually read the book in all seriousness. And now after having read the book there is only one question in my mind. Why was this book even written? I mean really it’s just a page by page copy of the original with occasional sprinkling of Zombies and Zombie slang here and there. It would be safe to say that it’s more than 80% similar.

Considering how well this book is doing I’m kind of surprised. I would not be fair to authors who write a book from scratch. Here Seth Grahame-Smith had everything at his disposal, a great setting, a great plot and awesome characters that you’ll never forget. To be fair the book does say it is written by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith. But does that make it alright?

Don’t get me wrong. Although I’m a huge P&P fan I’m not sensitive to altering the original or of the countless sequels if it is well done. If you read the blurb, it says “ultraviolent zombie mayhem”, I mean really? There were occasional zombie’s attacks in the book but the zombies were very easily killed or dispensed. And the attacks hardly lasted for more than a page.

I feel it was a very good idea very badly executed. The author had just modified the fate of Charlotte and Wickham in the book. The charlotte angle was well done but the Wickham one wasn’t, it was absolutely unnecessary and illogical. In fact that’s how I felt about the book. Unnecessary. I felt cheated and it feels like this book is just a ruse to make money from a beloved classic and Jane Austen. The only positive thing was it felt like I re-read Pride and Prejudice which I had been meaning to do for some time

First posted at http://violetcrush.wordpress.com/2009...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Violet Crush This book just arrived. I'm leaving everything else and starting this, I'm trying not to feel too guilty about it. Thanks Care.

Care uh oh! :)

Violet Crush lol, wait for my review :)