Will's Reviews > The Foie Gras Wars: How a 5,000-Year-Old Delicacy Inspired the World's Fiercest Food Fight

The Foie Gras Wars by Mark Caro

2841909
Oct 14, 2009

bookshelves: food
Read in October, 2009

As a longtime vegetarian/near-vegan, I bought and read this book with a bit of apprehension - clearly the author was not on an anti-foie crusade, and I wasn't sure it was going to be a pleasant read. However, I was quickly reassured by the authors thoroughness in presenting all the information, and listening to all the different stakeholders.

That's not to say that the book is completely "objective" (as if such a thing were possible), or that the author's own views on the subject don't come through (hint - he's not a vegetarian and he's eaten his share of foie gras), but I think he does a really good job of presenting the information in an informative (and sometimes even funny) way.

What I was more pleasantly surprised by was that the book really delves into the moral complexities involved. While the author isn't a vegetarian, he has clearly thought about the moral issues involved in eating meat, as well as the problems posed by factory farming. I think he poses some compelling arguments that the distress to the animals from the gavage (force-feeding) is not as bad as one might imagine, and he pokes holes in some of the more extreme arguments made by animal rights advocates.

Worth reading for anyone who's curious about where their food comes from, regardless of their stance on the issue of force-feeding.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Foie Gras Wars.