Alec's Reviews > Cities Growing Smaller

Cities Growing Smaller by Steve Rugare

Jan 15, 10

Read in December, 2009

I would probably give this a 3.5 if I could.

This book contains a little bit of history, theory, and experiments in stabilizing or changing shrinking cities. I was really happy to find a book that treated shrinking cities seriously but not as aberrations. All that said, there wasn't much within that was new to me, other than the section on shrinking cities in East Germany.

To me, this book could be summarized as: "In certain conditions, cities shrink, sometimes they shrink a lot, and sometimes they should never expect to recover their peak population or begin growing much again. This is ok. In fact, we think it can be healthy. Here are some ideas we have about how these cities can survive, given that they have to live within an economic system that demands and expects indefinite and constant growth. Hopefully they will get over their nostalgia for their lost apogee and get to work."

I was glad to see academic folks make such statements. I guess I don't have a lot to say about this book. Oh well.

If you are interested in shrinking cities and haven't read much about them, and particularly if you don't have a lot of knowledge about urban agriculture and permaculture, you will likely enjoy this book.

Oh right - this book is also real pretty. Lots of pictures.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cities Growing Smaller.