NS - Cami Houston's Reviews > Rumplestiltskin And Other Children's Favorites Audio Book On Cd

Rumplestiltskin And Other Children's Favorites Audio Book On Cd by PC Treasures

Nov 06, 09

bookshelves: traditional-literature
Read in October, 2009

k-2 and it is an audio CD version, This piece is always timeless, no matter what version it is. It sets the backdrop for the early belief for a girl that she must have her prince to be happy. There are positives and negatives to this story. The King enslaves her to spin gold and when she does this for him he decides only then to marry her! A classic tale, however subliminally patriarchal. The lowly seamstress marries the guy who locked her up until he knew that she could satisfy him! I didn't think about it this way as a young girl. But as a woman, I can see how this sends confusing messages to young girls about how love should work.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rumplestiltskin And Other Children's Favorites Audio Book On Cd.

message 1: by (NS) Brea M (new)

(NS) Brea M Cami,
It's interesting how you were able to look at this story so differently as an adult. Would you point this out to your students you read it with? I think it could be an interesting discussion. The same idea of female portrayal seems to be obvious in many of the traditional tales.

NS - Cami Houston If I read this to my students, I would certainly point this out because they would love a discussion of romance and relationships in the 7th grade! They would have a blast with this one.