Roger's Reviews > Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery

Amazing Grace by Eric Metaxas

2004307
Mar 18, 10

bookshelves: biography, georgian-era
Read in November, 2009

William Wilberforce lived a fascinating and inspiring life. Unfortunately, this book fell far short of matching the caliber of its subject matter. The writing style showed no sign of an editor. Almost every sentence appeared hastily written. The author, who I understand is a humorist by background, would often insert jokes or plays on words that were at best distracting and at worst embarassing in a what is supposed to be a serious biography. His frequent use of hyperbole rather than accurate description wass equally off-putting. The author is obviously deeply sympathetic to Wilberforce's conversion to Methodism, which I can understand. I don't expect the book to be completely impartial, but the failure to make any effort at a balanced picture makes this more of a tract than a biography. The author's research seemed shallow. One wonders whether he looked at any primary sources or was simply relying on other biographies, which must have been better written. I see that several other Wilberforce biographies are currently available. I will be looking to one of them for access to the real Wilberforce.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amazing Grace.