Leah's Reviews > The Brutal Telling

The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny

Feb 13, 10

bookshelves: first-reads
Read in October, 2009

Won on "Giveaways"--was drawn in immediately by the description--sounded very creepy! This is my first "Gamache" novel by Louise Penny, so I came in with no real expectations, although I was hoping for something dark and creepy!

I was torn between giving 3 or 4 stars, but ultimately I couldn't stop thinking about the writing style, so I rest on three.

My dislikes: apparently the village of Three Pines has LOTS of murders which I find kind of ridiculous; some of the 'mysteries and secrets' of the village aren't really resolved in that book; but maybe that's because there are more Three Pines books to come?; there were some RIDICULOUS lines....my personal favorite: "...it felt like he was being spanked by nature." Whaaaat? That line kind of ruined the rest of the book for me, because it was so hokey and ludicrous.

My likes: The characters, the setting, the way the story kept unraveling through the eyes of the characters, the plot (although a bit weak in parts) was overall intriguing and kept me interested (although I was not kept guessing--you knew who the murderer was pretty much in the first quarter of the book).

I would likely reccommend this one to others, as long as they like mysteries. And Canada.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brutal Telling.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Glenda Owens Kind of like Cabot Cove, huh?