Joe's Reviews > World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

World War Z by Max Brooks

Oct 08, 07

Recommended for: Anyone breathing
Read in October, 2007

World War Z is not a book about flesh-eating zombies taking over the world.

Okay, well, actually that's pretty much what it's about, but somehow that doesn't do this remarkable book justice. The book is much more about living breathing people and their response to a global cataclysmic disaster such as . . . flesh-eating zombies taking over the world. I'm actually a bit overwhelmed even to undertake a review of it and must therefore adjure you to skim the other gushing reviews on Goodreads.
Suspend your disbelief; a strange strain of human rabies is reported in rural China and, much like our government was unprepared for a conventional disaster like Katrina, the world governments are unprepared for the massive outbreak of the living dead who rapidly spread to every nation. What would happen? How would nations respond? Only Israel and South Africa are ready. Will American president (Powell?) and Vice President Whacko (Howard Dean?) get it together in time?
Written in the form of short interviews twenty years after the fact, World War Z tells the story of the Zombie War in its various stages in brief anecdotes set all over the globe. Pick up a copy in the library or a bookstore, read three pages, and you'll be hooked.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World War Z.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Chris Sounds awesome, Joe. I'm definitely planning on reading it, as soon as I can get through a few of the 8 books I've got going right now. Wow.