Eva's Reviews > Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

Apr 20, 2012

liked it
Recommended for: anyone who thinks Steel Magnolias is the best movie EVER
Read in October, 2007

I am so tired of this sort of storyline. A group of Southern women who form a timeless bond of woman-ness and Southern-ness and triumph in the face of all hardship because they are delicate as blossoms yet strong and fierce.
That said, when entering a genre so well-covered and sticky sweet, one must do something to make one's work stand out. I believe Rebecca Wells does an above-average job at this, and her book was a fun and easy read. It was hardly ground-breaking, nor did I find it moving, and I didn't shed a tear or laugh out loud. I just wrinkled my nose at the way everyone just wrapped up their lives with a nice bow at the end and no one walked away with residual hurt feelings or misunderstandings, then put the book down and decided to write this review before I promptly forgot it entirely.
If you watched Steel Magnolias or Beaches and thought they were profound, you'll just love this book.
34 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood.