Megan's Reviews > The Magicians

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

742074
Nov 20, 09

I really liked this book. I've been too lazy to write much of anything about any of the recent books I've read (and by recent I mean the last 25 or so) but I had to at least say that. In fact I'll say it again: I really liked this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magicians.

Quotes Megan Liked

Lev Grossman
“If there's a single lesson that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so.”

Lev Grossman
“In a way fighting was just like using magic. You said the words, and they altered the universe. By merely speaking you could create damage and pain, cause tears to fall, drive people away, make yourself feel better, make your life worse.”

Lev Grossman
“[F]or just one second, look at your life and see how perfect it is. Stop looking for the next secret door that is going to lead you to your real life. Stop waiting. This is it: there's nothing else. It's here, and you'd better decide to enjoy it or you're going to be miserable wherever you go, for the rest of your life, forever.”

Lev Grossman
“I have a little theory that I'd like to air here, if I may. What is it that you think makes you magicians?" More silence. Fogg was well into rhetorical-question territory now anyway. He spoke more softly. "Is it because you are intelligent? Is it because you are brave and good? Is is because you're special?

Maybe. Who knows. But I'll tell you something: I think you're magicians because you're unhappy. A magician is strong because he feels pain. He feels the difference between what the world is and what he would make of it. Or what did you think that stuff in your chest was? A magician is strong because he hurts more than others. His wound is his strength.

Most people carry that pain around inside them their whole lives, until they kill the pain by other means, or until it kills them. But you, my friends, you found another way: a way to use the pain. To burn it as fuel, for light and warmth. You have learned to break the world that has tried to break you.”

Lev Grossman
“There is really no end to life's little humiliations.”

Lev Grossman
“Being brave was easy when you would rather die than give up.”
Lev Grossman, The Magicians

Lana Exciting- let me know how this is!

Wealhtheow I really liked the book--I hated the main character. Did Quinten bother you?