Amy's Reviews > Choke

Choke by Chuck Palahniuk

Apr 16, 07

Read in January, 2003

Excerpt:

"Here, I'm supposed to tell her the truth. I admire addicts. In a world where everybody is waiting for some blind, random disaster or some sudden disease, the addict has the comfort of knowing what will most likely wait for him down the road. He's taken some control over his ultimate fate, and his addiction keeps the cause of his death from being a total surprise.

In a way, being an addict is very proactive.

A good addiction takes the guesswork out of death. There is such a thing as planning your getaway.

And for serious, it's such a chick thing to think that any human life should just go on and on.

See also: Dr. Paige Marshall.

See also: Ida Mancini.

The truth is, sex isn't sex unless you have a new partner every time. The first time is the only session when your head and body are both there. Even the second hour of that first time, your head can start to wander. You don't get the full anesthetic quality of good first-time anonymous sex.

What would Jesus NOT do?

But instead of all that, I just lied to Miss Lacey and said, "How can I reach you?"

I tell the fourth-graders that they call it cancer because when the cancer starts growing inside you, when it breaks through your skin, it looks like a big red crab. Then the crab breaks open and it's all bloody and white inside.

"Whatever the doctors tried," I tell the silent little kids, "every little boy would end up dirty and diseased and screaming in terrible pain. And who can tell me what happened next?"

No hands go up.

"For sure," I say, "he died, of course."

And I put the poker back into the fire.

"So," I say, "any questions?"

No hands go up, so I tell them about the fairly bogus studies where scientists shaved mice and smeared them with smegma from horses. This was supposed to prove foreskins caused cancer.

A dozen hands go up, and I tell them, "Ask your teacher."

What a frigging job that must've been, shaving those poor mice. Then finding a bunch of uncircumcised horses.
The clock on the mantel shows our half hour is almost over. Out through the window, Denny's still bent over in the stocks. He's only got until one o'clock. A stray village dog stops next to him and lifts its leg, and the stream of steaming yellow goes straight into Denny's wooden shoe.

"And what else," I say, "is George Washington kept slaves and didn't ever chop down a cherry tree, and he was really a woman."

As they push toward the door I tell them, "And don't mess with the dude in the stocks anymore." I shout, "And lay off shaking the damn chicken eggs."

Just to stir the turd, I tell them to ask the cheesemaker why his eyes are all red and dilated. Ask the blacksmith about the icky lines going up and down the insides of his arms. I call after the infectious little monsters, any moles or freckles they have, that's just cancer waiting to happen. I call after them, "Sunshine is your enemy. Stay off the sunny side of the street."
-end

Choke is my favorite book. It's about sexual addiction, Jesus complexes, and doing something GOOD with your life instead of just not doing bad things. It helped shape my current world-attitude and psyche, for better or worse.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Choke.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nathan An excerpt:

"Maurice Brooks Gatlin, Srl, was an associate of Guy Banister, involved with the CIA, and was a legal counsel to the Anti-Communist League of the Caribbean. He either fell or was pushed from a window in Panama in 1964. He said once that he had $100,000 of CIA money for a Right Wing group in France that was going to kill President de Gaulle.

The following also died in shootings: Carlos Prio, the former President of Cuba, was shot to death one week after George de Mohrenschildt died of a gunshot wound. The assassinations Committee wanted to talk to him as well.

Regis Kennedy, an FBI agent who seems deeply involved in this case, died in 1978 shortly after talking to the Assassinations Committee. William Sullivan, a top assistant to J. Edgar Hoover, whom the Committee wanted to speak to, was shot to death in 1977 during what appeared to be a liquidation of the entire high command of the FBI. Six top men died in six months in 1977."

This is not my favorite book.

NC

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike Is Lullaby gonna be the next Chuck book-turned-film? Check out the Lullaby project here: http://on.fb.me/LKHEOp