Elaine's Reviews > The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

Aug 05, 12

bookshelves: 2012, children-and-ya, ethnic-writers
Read from August 04 to 05, 2012

Junior's voice and wit were engaging, and it was refreshing (though I felt like maybe the writer was a traitor to his race) to see an Indian's perspective of Indian life. I thought the internal struggle was one with which all teens could relate, and I really liked the fact that the author did not shy away from taboo topics (masturbation, alcoholism, racism, etc.) that teens deal with today. My one complaint is that everything was much too clean. For instance, Junior is afraid his parents won't let him go to the white school, but then they do; he worries about Roger beating him up, but then he turns out to be a super nice guy; he worries that Penelope doesn't like him, but then they end up making out; he worries that he won't make the basketball team, but then he does -- that pattern got old fast. Despite that, though, I found this to be a quick, interesting read, and I thought the cartoons were a nice touch.