John Steinbeck's Reviews > The Education of Little Tree

The Education of Little Tree by Forrest Carter

Oct 18, 09

Read in October, 2009

This book reminded me of what is good about spending as much time as possible outside and appreciating what is natural or good or healthy and why it is not natural, good or healthy to be away from nature or the out of doors or physical labor for too long.
I remembered my first love who was raised in awareness of (and opened my eyes to) native american spirituality and thanked God for letting me know and love some of the people whose lives have crossed my own, if only for a season.
I wondered about the spirit of nature and whether that could be the reason why, every once in a while, an overwhelming sense causes me to laugh or shout and many things between when I am out in the woods or swimming in a lake.
I didn't give this book five stars only because of the occasion the story became too made for the adolescent reader, which I personally find distracting. But for what it is, it really does deserve 5 stars.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Education of Little Tree.

John Steinbeck Carter wrote: "What do you do with the controversy surrounding the author?"

what controversy? explicame.

John Steinbeck Interesting. But I'd hardly call this controversy. For one, what kind of idiot publisher would believe it was first-account memoir? Hello! (But a funny note, my edition says Youth/Fiction, yet it is under the biography section at the library. Hooray for small town public libraries!)
As for the strong ties to the KKK, big whoop.