Maddy's Reviews > The Virgin Suicides

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

Oct 14, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in October, 2009

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Virgin Suicides.

Maddy I loved how the girls were never people, but commodities that the boys worshiped. The idea of them desperately reaching out to these girls who they never knew and could never understand but idolized seems very... American. The foreboding of the novel, even knowing what would happen from the very beginning says a lot to the credit of eugenides as a writer. Textually and topically interesting but I had little emotional investment. Though the scene where they found their bodies at the end was terrifying.
But it didn't stay with me, I didn't care about anyone/anything in the novel. They were all so other (which I liked) but to the point where I felt like I was being told a fairy tale. I closed the book and was done with the Lisbon sisters. But I think that's more of a reflection of my tastes than the novel.

Nevena I felt like I was being told a fairy tale

dude, that is so accurate. the lisbon sisters become kind of the mythology of the suburb
where they aren't so much people but the idea or the change for the worse that people see in their society. they're the epitome of all that so that you don't have to explain all that to people, you just tell them the story of the lisbon sisters.

but that's what i don't like as much about the movie, i don't know if it's actively trying to portray them more as people, but you see them in their house at times without any outsiders and that's weird to me, because in the book it felt like if no one was witnessing something lisbon-y and if there was no evidence of it, then it didn't happen, it wasn't part of the grand narrative, which is why the alcoholic was so useful.

i want to be a book club, where does one find a book club?

Maddy We should start one.

Nevena man, i am genuinely down.

Maddy I am so down.

Nevena sweet! how many people constitute a book club as opposed to a book gathering or chapter? also ~! books! i suggest something good~!