Jenna's Reviews > Full Tilt

Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman

Nov 15, 09

Read in November, 2009

The book Full Tilt, by Neal Shusterman, is an adventurous teen fiction. This book was recommended to me by my brother, who told me it was very exciting. He knows my preferences and me quite well, so he knew that the book and I were a good match. I also read the back of the book, which assured me that this book would be worth reading. This book is about brothers who are completely different. The older brother, Blake, is always getting his younger brother, Quinn, out of trouble. Quinn gets himself into a lot of trouble when he decides to go to a deadly carnival. Blake goes to rescue his brother with the assistance of his friends, Maggie and Russ. Though the only way to get out of the carnival is to ride seven rides by dawn; these rides change into your deepest fears. During Blake’s journey through the carnival he loses friends, gains an enemy and faces a deep secret he has been hiding from himself.
Blake is fighting against the phantom carnival as well as himself. This shows man versus supernatural and man versus self-conflict; they are apparent throughout the story. Anyone can relate to the author’s message, which is visible all through the story. The theme is everyone should face his or her own fear, as unresolved problems of the past can become current problems in the future. Blake faces his fears in the different rides he rode and by doing so he was able to move on and become a stronger person. Some motifs found in the story are fear, bravery and friendship. A symbol that was reoccurring in the book was a yellow bus. Blake saw different things on the rides he rode that always reminded him of a yellow bus; the yellow bus represented a fear or a memory he was unwilling to face.
The author, Neal Shusterman, has a fascinating writing style. I was intrigued with everything he wrote. His portrayal of a teenager and how they act, feel and respond to situations was well thought out. The story was told in Blake’s point of view and I experienced the way he endured everything. At times I felt like I was Blake, taking the ride and journey with him on his race to finish all seven rides. The author did an excellent job of making the story flow, as there was never a dull moment. He also made the story complete by having an exciting and riveting climax with an equally jaw-dropping ending. His word choice was awesome and I could picture everything that was happening.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes mystery, adventure and supernatural books. It’s a bit of an easy read, but some of the words would be better understood if you are a teen or older. This story keeps you on the edge, has a great story line and makes you want to see what will happen next. Overall, Full Tilt is very exciting to read and will instantly become one of your favorites.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Full Tilt.

10/13/2009 page 1