Jay's Reviews > Super in the City

Super in the City by Daphne Uviller

Oct 19, 09

bookshelves: for-review
Read in January, 2009

Zephyr Zuckerman is a 28-year-old slacker with potential. It's not that she doesn't know what she wants to do with her life; it's that so many things interest her that following one path means that she won't be able to pursue the others. On the brink of her high school reunion, Zephyr is surrounded by her successful friends but doesn't have an impressive job of her own. So what does she do? She becomes the super of the building her parents own and live in when the former super gets arrested for giving kickbacks to an oil company. Helped along by a healthy dose of imagination and a hunky exterminator who just doesn't look like an exterminator, Zephyr ends up uncovering a scandal that the FBI would be very interested in knowing about. If nothing else, she'll have a great story for her reunion.

Zephyr is the kind of character who I'd want to be friends with in real life. She's so much fun and funny and, being the same age, I understand her troubles trying to forge her own path. Zephyr rings true as a character, as do the others that surround her. Super in the City is one of those rare books that I didn't want to end. I could have happily continued to read about Zephyr and her travails for another 200 pages.

One complaint is that the back blurb and cover do a disservice to the story. In fairness to the publisher, the story is a little hard to encapsulate in only a few lines, but the 'mystery' aspect is sure to let down readers looking for a real whodunit. The mob/FBI connection is also a little overstated, but I'm confident that anyone who gives this book a try will overlook the back cover's inaccuracy. I look forward to Uviller's next offering.

Originally published on Curledup.com
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Super in the City.