Holly's Reviews > Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country

1994638
Oct 13, 09

bookshelves: historical-fiction, duds
Read in October, 2009

i think there are better Authurian legend books out there. This is a book about redemption & forgiveness set in the time of King Authur. The familiar characters are probably not portrayed as you expect. Merlin is a spiteful, vengeful, sex crazed old man. Not wise at all. So is he a Druid? A Christian? I'm not sure. Authur is a puppet of Merlin. He can't make a decision w/o him. And the knights & the rules of chivalry. Were the knights of this time really like this? I always pictured the knights as mercenaries. Guns for hire not concerned about who is sleeping w/ who. Guenevere is from a long line of warrior queens but she is nothing w/o her knights. Sometimes she comes accross as helpless & needy. Boo hoo. Guenevere's religion is one of convience to me. She keeps it when she feels like it or when she wants something from the goddess. OF course a lot of us are like that. We only speak to God when we are is crisis mode.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country.

message 1: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Thanks for the review, don't think I'll be bothering with this one. If you're interested in a Guinevere p.o.v. I recommend the trilogy by Persia Woolley beginning with "Child of the Northern Spring." It's not perfect, but I have a predilection for historical fiction, particularly the Mists of Avalon series, and I enjoyed it.

message 2: by Zoe (new)