Holly's Reviews > Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country

Oct 13, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: historical-fiction, duds
Read in October, 2009

i think there are better Authurian legend books out there. This is a book about redemption & forgiveness set in the time of King Authur. The familiar characters are probably not portrayed as you expect. Merlin is a spiteful, vengeful, sex crazed old man. Not wise at all. So is he a Druid? A Christian? I'm not sure. Authur is a puppet of Merlin. He can't make a decision w/o him. And the knights & the rules of chivalry. Were the knights of this time really like this? I always pictured the knights as mercenaries. Guns for hire not concerned about who is sleeping w/ who. Guenevere is from a long line of warrior queens but she is nothing w/o her knights. Sometimes she comes accross as helpless & needy. Boo hoo. Guenevere's religion is one of convience to me. She keeps it when she feels like it or when she wants something from the goddess. OF course a lot of us are like that. We only speak to God when we are is crisis mode.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country.

message 1: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Thanks for the review, don't think I'll be bothering with this one. If you're interested in a Guinevere p.o.v. I recommend the trilogy by Persia Woolley beginning with "Child of the Northern Spring." It's not perfect, but I have a predilection for historical fiction, particularly the Mists of Avalon series, and I enjoyed it.

message 2: by Zoe (new)