Becky's Reviews > Abduction

Nov 04, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: audio
Read in November, 2009

Okay, first I must admit that I wasn’t paying attention to what I was checking out at the library. I listened to this book, checked out from the online library. I looked at the title and the cover and thought “okay, that looks different.” I’d never read Cook before, so I checked it out and added it to the TBR. Then, I started it…..

I DO NOT do aliens. And while the Interterrans aren't necessarily aliens, they are not exactly human. So, to say that I actually finished this book says something. After getting into it a few chapters, I went back to the net and looked up the book description. (Should probably have done that before I checked this out.) Anyway, I decided that I was far enough in and slightly interested, so I continued on.

Cook is a fantastic writer. He’s intelligent and incredibly imaginative. The content and plot of this book is so beyond believable that I couldn’t help but get interested. Even though I found myself rolling my eyes a few times.

The start of the book is set out in the ocean. There is a large drilling operation underway. The president of the company is on board the ship observing these operations since there have been recent difficulties. He boards a submersible with a scientist and captain to go under the water and check out the drilling apparatus. Three divers also enter the water. They will be the ones who actually work on the drilling rig, while the submersible observes. While waiting for the divers to reach depth, the other three venture west to check out a ridge. They are sucked into a deep whole. Shortly after, the divers, in search of the submersible, are also sucked into the whole. Once reunited, they are all in an underground world, much different than our own.

The majority of the book describes life in this underground world. And while not aliens, per se, they are humans much different in their own ways. While the life there in Interterra was thought to be similar to Heaven, the crew wanted to go back to earth as they knew it.

Overall, I’m okay with the fact that I spent time finishing this book. It was a little interesting and did allow my mind to drift. Unless scientific stories such as these are your thing, I can’t recommend this to you. Otherwise, be my guest! It wasn’t bad!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abduction.