Punk's Reviews > A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka

Nov 28, 09

Read in November, 2009

Fiction. This book isn't nearly as charming as its title, which, I'll confess, is the main reason I bought it. Mostly it's about a horny, pathetic old man who is being exploited by his much younger, practically mail-order wife. I finished it, but just barely.

The characters are Ukrainian and living in England, but don't expect to learn much about what that means for them. There's a lot of family drama, elder abuse, and not much characterization. The first person narrator, the old man's adult daughter, is practically see-through she's so flimsy. It's obvious she's just an excuse to tell her father's story and not an actual person in her own right.

The book actually does contain a short history of tractors in Ukrainian. Set against the backdrop of communism and its exploitation of the Ukrainian people and land, these parts were simple and well-done, tying into the current narrative without too many anvils to the head.

Two stars. I enjoyed the renewed sense of family toward the end, but it didn't make up for the extended abuse and neglect.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian.

10/12/2009 page 22
7.48% "I bought this book just because of the title."
11/24/2009 page 254
86.39% "These last chapters don't have as much elder abuse in them! Consequently, I am enjoying them more."

Writerlibrarian Patrons at the library seem to love it. I had to add 2 more copies. Now we have 3 copies that are always out.