Katie Carson's Reviews > Honey, I Love and Other Love Poems

Honey, I Love and Other Love Poems by Eloise Greenfield

Oct 12, 09

bookshelves: poetry
Read in October, 2009

This collection of poetry written by Eloise Greenfield set out to, "elicit a new appreciation of the rich content of everyday life" and I think it did just that. For example, in the poem "Things," the author's main idea is that out of all of the material things the narrator interacts with in a day, the poem they write is the only thing that will last the test of time. What a powerful message for young people about their writing!
Greenfield's insight into the minds of African American children speaks to readers who are not black, giving them positive representations of self pride, family and community from the culture.
I was immediately drawn to all of the alliteration in the piece, "Riding on the Train." Greenfield writes, "fences and fields, barns and bridges, stations and stores, trees, other trains..." You can't help but to be caught in the rhythm of the reading. On the next page, the word "sleepy" creatively trails to the bottom of the page, with one letter on each line. The form visually offers reading the sensation of drifting away.
I also wanted to note the jump-rope rhyme entitled, "Rope Rhyme." Reading this example had me not only physically bobbing my head, as if to be jumping along with the author, but taking me back to a sidewalk outside my elementary school, where my classmates and I composed our first poems in the same way as this Greenfield did here. This consideration makes me want to reveal to young children just how capable of writing poetry they really are. Many are doing it on the playground every day!
As I read through the collection, I found myself not only tapping my toe to follow the written rhythm but creating a voice to read aloud in the dialect the author had given its narrator. Being that the characters were so understandable, I felt comfortable reading the words out loud in a voice different from my own.
Before I finish my review, I must comment on the amazing illustrations created by Diane and Leo Dillon. Absolutely breath-taking characters in black and white shine brightly off of each page. The beautiful images really contribute to Greenfield's writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Honey, I Love and Other Love Poems.