Inder's Reviews > Be the Pack Leader: Use Cesar's Way to Transform Your Dog . . . and Your Life

Be the Pack Leader by Cesar Millan

Oct 08, 2007

bookshelves: dogs, selfhelp, read-2007
Recommended for: Dog people.
Read in October, 2007

This is a great book, even better than "Cesar's Way." In "Be the Pack Leader," Cesar really goes deeply into his theories of dog rehabilitation, fleshing out the great but sometimes vague techniques outlined in "Cesar's Way." Lots of great, concrete advice here.

But the best parts of this book are aimed at humans, rather than dogs. In the easy voice of a friend, Cesar describes perfectly the primal connection between people and dogs, suggesting that humans learn as much from their dogs as dogs learn from their people. Because dogs don't care about individuality in the same way that we do, they can teach us about being part of something that is greater than ourselves. Not only have dogs helped me to experience unconditional love and loyalty, but my dogs remind me to put my ego aside and try to act for the best of the "pack." Dogs show you the unlikely joys of routine and structure and doing your duty. This is a surprisingly good little self-help book.

(As an aside, Cesar addresses many of his critics in this book, and does a good job of defending his MO. Although some of his techniques are controversial, he always applies them with a very light touch, and they are very effective, especially with big beefy pit bulls and other powerful breeds, who don't always respond to pure positive reinforcement techniques, as I've discovered.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Be the Pack Leader.