Shelly's Reviews > Anna Karenina

Jan 27, 10

bookshelves: classics, audiobook-version, russian-literature
Read in January, 2010

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna Karenina.

Quotes Shelly Liked

Leo Tolstoy
“All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.”

Leo Tolstoy
“He stepped down, trying not to look long at her, as if she were the sun, yet he saw her, like the sun, even without looking.”

Leo Tolstoy
“I think... if it is true that
there are as many minds as there
are heads, then there are as many
kinds of love as there are hearts.”

Leo Tolstoy
“But I'm glad you'll see me as I am. Above all, I wouldn't want people to think that I want to prove anything. I don't want to prove anything, I just want to live; to cause no evil to anyone but myself. I have that right, haven't I?”

Leo Tolstoy
“I often think that men don't understand what is noble and what is ignorant, though they always talk about it.”

Leo Tolstoy
“They've got no idea what happiness is, they don't know that without this love there is no happiness or unhappiness for us--there is no life.”

Leo Tolstoy
“Rummaging in our souls, we often dig up something that ought to have lain there unnoticed. ”

Leo Tolstoy
“I'm like a starving man who has been given food. Maybe he's cold, and his clothes are torn, and he's ashamed, but he's not unhappy.”

Leo Tolstoy
“He liked fishing and seemed to take pride in being able to like such a stupid occupation.”

Leo Tolstoy
“It's hard to love a woman and do anything.”

Leo Tolstoy
“And you know, there's less charm in life when you think about death--but it's more peaceful.”

Leo Tolstoy
“If you look for perfection, you'll never be content.”

Leo Tolstoy
“Respect was invented to cover the empty place where love should be.”

Leo Tolstoy
“Something magical has happened to me: like a dream when one feels frightened and creepy, and suddenly wakes up to the knowledge that no such terrors exist. I have wakened up.”

Leo Tolstoy
“I always loved you, and if one loves anyone, one loves the whole person, just as they are and not as one would like them to be. -Dolly”

Leo Tolstoy
“I ask one thing: I ask the right to hope and suffer as I do now."
Vronsky”
Leo Tolstoy, Ana Karenina

Leo Tolstoy
“Love. The reason I dislike that word is that it means too much for me, far more than you can understand."

- Anna Karenina {Anna Karenina}”
tags: love

Leo Tolstoy
“Whatever our fate is or may be, we have made it and do not complain of it."

- Vronksy {Anna Karenina}”

Leo Tolstoy
“If you love me as you say you do,' she whispered, 'make it so that I am at peace.”