Meghan's Reviews > Bare Bones

Bare Bones by Kathy Reichs

Oct 15, 09

liked it
Read in October, 2009

I am enjoying this story, but the reader makes a noise with her mouth between words, something like smacking. It is driving me nuts. Does she read all of this series?

Also, the author seems to do a strange thing where instead of the saying "So and So said...", the reader reads a quote and then does an aside to atribute it to the speaker. It took me a while to figure out why one person constantly said the name of the other after each quote in the conversation. Kind of strange. I would like to see how it is acutally written on page, or if is an artifact of the audiobook.

SPOILER ALERT: Ok, this is another pet peeve of mine. Typically in a mystery, the author tries to keep up the suspense by tyring to keep the reader guessing about who really committed the crime. Well, it just doesn't say a lot about your skills as an author that you were able to keep the reader guessing when you never introduced the reader to the perpetrator. Yeah, I didn't see that one coming, cuz I hardly knew he existed. And honestly, there were so many characters, even if I had, I probably wouldn't remember. Others have said it and I have to concur that there were TOO MANY CHARACTERS to keep straight. The wrap up section where they discuss how the crimes were committed, and by whom, was just about uninteligible to me. There were so many names being thrown out, I got lost. Perhaps if I were reading it I could slow down and figure it out, but hearing 20 names in a row, I just couldn't keep up.

It was a reasonably interesting story, but it wasn't my favorite by any stretch.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bare Bones.