Clackamas's Reviews > Wild Magic

Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce

Oct 12, 09

bookshelves: 2009, fantasy, pre-teen-and-teen
Read in August, 2009

My son has had this book for awhile and has told me to read it several times. I never bothered because I'm through my fantasy fiction stage and have heard Tamora Pierce described a feminist author. I've found that "feminist author" seems to translate to pointless sex scenes. However, Joe doesn't like that kind of thing and liked this one. Also, I was stuck at home due to an injury, my TV crapped out so I couldn't watch movies, and once the drugs kept me from any heavy reading so I decided to give it a try.

I liked it a lot. The world that it's set in is cool. It's also set in a time of great upheaval where people aren't sure what to do. The main character has an interesting ability, but is otherwise believable as a normal kid who's been thrust into extraordinary circumstances. I'd recommend this book to middle-school kids, boys and girls. I think it's mostly the way the growth and maturation of the main character feels organic that sets this book apart from others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Magic.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jackie "the Librarian" Tamora Pierce is great! I really love her Alanna books, and the Protector of the Small series. I loved Terrier, too, and have the sequel waiting in a stack.
I guess she's a feminist author, in that her protagonists are strong women. But really, she just tells a really good story. I'm not surprised you liked this one, Clackamas.

Clackamas I liked it well enough to order the rest of this set, the Alanna series, Protector of the Small, and the two about Alanna's daughter. They got me through the weeks I was bed-ridden. It's nice to be pleasantly surprised by an author.