Bernice's Reviews > Carmine: A Little More Red

Carmine by Melissa Sweet

Oct 12, 09

bookshelves: traditional-literature

Carmine, a girl that loves red, is filled with imagination and demonstrates this through her beautiful portraits she paints for her grandmother. On one particular trip to her grandmother's house, against her mother's advice to ride straight through the forest without stopping, Carmine stops to paint the beautiful landscape around her. A wolf that has been heard and sighted in the area sees Carmine and her dog. We are whisked by her adventure to see what happens between Carmine and the wolf.

As I read this book, I was impressed by the vocabulary used throughout the story. Written as an alphabet book, you would think that the language would be less advanced than it really is. The words capture every part of the story! She even writes a Haiku during her trip to Granny's house! She uses words like "lurking", "exquisite", "mimic", and "surreal". The illustrations are also vivid and colorful! I thought this book would be perfect for young readers that are familiar with Little Red Riding Hood. I love the way it presents itself as a alphabet book, but is at a 3rd grade reading level when alphabet books aren't as common. The story is somewhat whimsical and you can feel the exploratory personality of little Carmine.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carmine.