Stephen Durrant's Reviews > My Son's Story

My Son's Story by Nadine Gordimer

Oct 12, 2009

Read in October, 2009

A young, black South African, who is playing hookey at a local cinema, runs into his father, a former school teacher and now an anti-apartheid political activist, in the company of a blond woman who is obviously his lover. Thus begins a tale, told primarily by the son, of complex political and familial entanglements. Gordimer is an astute observer of the way lives, complicated enough already, become even more so in a treacherous and ever-shifting political landscape like that which existed in her native South Africa for so many years. She is also a master of shifting point-of-view and illustrates here not only how a son’s vision of his father slowly changes over time but also how that father’s action might be seen from perspectives outside of the family. Still the tale of the family dominates, and the biggest surprise in this novel comes from within the family. That surprise should not be ruined here. Suffice it to say that Gordimer is always a challenging and rewarding read. I continue to be a very big fan!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Son's Story.